Saturday, December 26, 2009

Easy Birdfeeder Project

I found some great plans online and decided this would be a fun project to tackle for a Christmas present for my Mom. The materials required for this project are as follows:
  • 1"x6"x6' cedar
  • 36" piece of 3/8" dowel
  • Finish nails
  • 2 screw eyes
  • 2 hinges (smaller than the width of the cedar ... I used 1")
  • Sheet of plexi-glass (this plan requires two pieces that are about 5"x10" each, but with a minor adjustment to the pitch of the roof, you could get by with one 8"x10" piece cut in half)

The plans have a good cut list, which made this a quick project to complete. The most difficult task was cutting the plexiglass to fit, as I did not have the correct saw blades, so I had to do this by hand.


I pretty much followed the plans, but made a few adjustments.
  • Rather than drilling completely through the side pieces to insert the dowel perches, I drilled about 2/3 of the way through. This way the end of the dowel does not show through the side.
  • Instead of cutting 1/2" openings in the bottom of the plexi-glass to allow bird seed to flow out onto the floor, I installed 1/2" pieces of wood on each side to support the plexi-glass; this cut down on the amount of glass cutting I needed to do.
  • I added the cute little bird onto the roof on the front of the feeder. This was created by ripping a spare piece of cedar in half, and then cutting out the bird with a jigsaw.

Followers