Friday, October 29, 2010

Inspiration for Wall of Sliding Doors

While it is not yet finalized, it looks like our basement plan will involve having a wall of sliding doors blocking view of the appliances. I think this wall of doors, at about 20 feet long, could make a great focal point. I doubt we will find any (cheap) off-the-shelf solution for this space, so I have been thinking about creative ways to make this a great feature of our basement.

One idea I had was inspired by the Five Doors North restaurant located on Yonge Street not far from our house. I think an eclectic collection of doors painted in different colours would look great, but would it be possible to build this into the rest of the basement design? Would it be too clown/kid looking?

Source: Flickr

We could keep with the same door theme, but paint them a more muted colour (shades of gray?). Mirror doors are another thought, and they would probably make the basement seem bigger, but I worry about them getting broken by toys, or constantly being covered in kid hand prints. This is probably something that I will make myself, preferably using reclaimed materials, so the options are almost endless.

Source: Logan Square Kitchen

Source: Spazzi

Source: Gliding Door Company

Source: Momento Italia

Followers