Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Club: Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage

A friend gave me this book many years ago and I finally just got around to reading it this summer. I generally don't like short stories as I find I am always left wanting more.




Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro is an exception to this rule. These stories are just the right length and I felt satisfied when they were done. I also enjoyed the Canadian Content.


I enjoyed almost all of the stories, as they were all rich in the everyday of human relationships. The general theme through out was forbidden love. Whether that be to an older or younger lover, a fling outside of marriage or an old childhood sweetheart showing up to tempt you. The secondary theme is suicide. It makes only a mention in some stories while it is a focal point in others.


Stories:
  • Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage
  • Floating Bridge
  • Family Furnishings
  • Comfort
  • Nettles
  • Post & Beam
  • What is Remembered
  • Queenie
  • The Bear Came Over the Mountain
The Bear Came Over the Mountain was made into the film Away From Her directed by Sarah Polley and produced by Atom Egoyan.


Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage, the opening story is also being turned into a movie.


I would recommend this book of short stories.


Followers